Wednesday, July 8, 2009

flashback 1996


it was the summer of 1996. i was a cocky 11 year old little leaguer that was certain i would one day go to lsu on a baseball scholarship. when i told me dad about my intentions, he just scoffed and said 'not when you've got blue and white down the road." he was speaking of penn state which was about an hour and a half drive from my home town. he turned out to be absolutely right.

the college world series matched my lsu tigers against miami. it was the bottom of the ninth, two outs, one man on for second baseman warren morris. lsu was trailing 8-7 until morris deposited the first pitch just over the right field wall. it was his first home run of the year and first walk off HR in college world series history.

my pirates eventually traded for him and he had a stellar rookie campaign in 1998. unfortunately it would be his best season as a pro before retiring in 2006. i bet this card won't get much more than the opening $0.99.

No comments: