Friday, June 26, 2009

a rare game used


"el duque" orlando hernandez was one of my favorite players. armed with a jerky motion and a will make it in the majors, el duque was part of 4 world series champions. many may not know about his other successes. in cuba, hernandez won 2 more titles and holds the record for winning percetage. he also has a gold medal from the 1992 barcelona games.


now about the card in question. it a game used bat card of el duque. game used bat cards are certainly not rare, but when you consider that hernandez spent only 2 years in the national league and made only 137 career regular season and post season plate appearences, it becomes clear why this card is rare. the man probably only used a handfull of bats in his major league career.


this card got me thinking about unique game used collections. does anybody out there have a pitcher specific game used bat collection? bonus points for american league guys.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

Cool idea... I never would have thought about putting together a "game used" bat card collection of pitchers. I already have a ton on my plate already, but now I'm going to have to look around for a game used bat card of my favorite pitcher... Mr. Maddux. Keep up the cool blog.

capewood said...

Although I'm not specifically collecting such a theme I do have a 2006 SP Legendary Cuts Legendary Materials Gold bat card of Steve Carlton and the parallel Silver card (also a bat).